[discuss] Who is responsible for security

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 20:17:44 UTC 2014

Brian,

further, you try not to lose your keys together with an identification that
has your address on it, and if it happens, you are wise enough to change
the combinations of the locks ASAP (the meatspace mapping of deprecating
your digital certificates and getting new ones after a compromise.)

The layers principle and the concept of risk management as the right way to
approach "security" go a long way.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15/01/2014 08:02, David Conrad wrote:
> > Roland,
>
> ..
> >> Today's Billion+ Internet users see themselves as customers of a
> trillion-dollar platform, not as partners in a grand experiment.
> >
> > Simply put, if you believe this, then your expectations of privacy and
> security are limited to what the third parties you have put your trust in
> allow.
>
> Yes. I trust the companies that design locks not to sell the keys to
> third parties, I trust my locksmith to install the lock correctly
> on my door, but it's my job to ensure that my house has a stout
> lock and that I remember to lock it. If I am a shopkeeper, the same
> applies to my shop.
>
> There is certainly a responsibility on vendors and service providers,
> but that does not relieve the responsibility of individuals and
> small businesses. Patrik was only stating facts.
>
>     Brian

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty