[discuss] 1Net, Brazil and other RE: BR meeting site launched

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jan 15 16:56:54 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 15 January 2014 09:03 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Vladimir:
>
> Tacitly, I have already given you my answer to this in the message
> that appeared 30 minutes earlier; however, let me address your
> questions directly:
>
> 1.How do you see the role and potentials of 1Net? What should be its
> task in a wider IG context?
>
> 1net has no real task in a "wider IG context." Nor was it created to
> fund medical research to cure cancer, to run a film festival or to
> write a philosophical treatise. 1net was created with the specific
> purpose of coordinating and mobilizing non-state actor input and
> representation in the Brazil meeting.

{Parminder} Also please add here, created by ICANN....

> That is the only reason many of us are participating in it.

{Parminder} Not true... Show me one email when Steering committee
selections by different communities that this purpose was put forward...
I only heard about it is as a discussion platform. Will try and fetch
back emails from civil society lists. But let Ian the chair of one of
the civil society mechanisms which made the selection tell us what did
they think 1Net was for which they were making selections. Ian has said
that he is against 1Net being conduit to the Brazilian organisers for
civil society nominees for organising committees . Clearly shows that
the civil society structure that made the nominations did not see 1Net
in an Brazil meeting organising role. Can you refute this evidence?

> We do not need and do not want yet another email list or yet another
> IG organization aside from that task. Performing the Brazil meeting
> preparatory role will be a full time task and I think I speak for a
> lot of people in academia and civil society when I say that we will be
> very disappointed if you fail to perform that task properly and spend
> the next two months ruminating about your "role."

{Parminder} Why are there then the 4 (already too many?) Brazil meeting
organising committees in place if 1Net is also to be involved in
organising... This simply makes no sense. Although I can understand
ICANN's and perhaps your motivation for supporting this outside
illegitimate structure to keep its fingers and arms deep inside the
meeting organising system. Such a duplication is a recipe for disaster.

parminder