[discuss] Interesting article

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 21:52:37 UTC 2014

On 15/01/2014 04:05, Dominique Lacroix wrote:
> Sorry Jorge, but we must be clear for all the people who try to understand:
>
> Icann IS IN CHARGE of Iana, and for several years!
> See: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/page/iana-functions-purchase-order

That is a partial story. Actually the NTIA contract is
redundant. The IETF MoU is the instrument by which the
technical community delegated the IANA function to ICANN.
>From a multi-stakeholder or technical viewpoint, nothing
would change if the NTIA contract was cancelled today.

> Without Iana contract, Icann would not be a political issue.

Without the _NTIA_ contract, I agree.

On 16/01/2014 04:05, Peter Dengate Thrush wrote:
> The PSC final recommendation was that ICANN look at the international not for profit status available under Swiss law.

Which was of course one of the more attractive options
rejected in 1998. If I could have three wishes, the first
two would be unconditional cancellation of the NTIA
contract and relocation of ICANN's seat to Geneva.

    Brian