[discuss] 1Net, Brazil and other global strategies

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Thu Jan 16 14:25:46 UTC 2014

Facts as we know them are:

- Rod Beckstrom joined ICANN
- ISOC initiated I*CEOs
- 20110624  Steve Crocker became ICANN President
- 20120829: IEEE, IETF, IAB, W3C signed the OpenStand agreement
asking for support and endorsments
- 2012120314: Dubai WCIT calls for ISOC action:
http://www.internetsociety.org/wcit
- 20121001: Fadi Chehade replaced Rod Beckstrom
- 20130100: IAB published OpenStand as RFC 6852, endorsment  came
form RIRs but ARIN
- 20130600: Edward Snowden Show
- 20130924: Dilma Rousseff attacked the US
- 20130928: ICANN authorizes Fadi to work with other key
organizations and leaders to establish a coalition towards the
formation of a movement or initiative' ('Coalition'), in order to
address increasing concerns regarding the effectiveness of a 'global,
open, multi-stakeholder Internet governance system.'"
- 20131001: Fadi tests his sales pitch at the Centr
- 20131007: Montevideo Statement: ICANN ARIN with OpenStand people (less IEEE).
- 20131009- Fadi Chehade (*) and Dilma Rousseff: "I came to ask the
president to elevate her leadership to a new level, to ensure that we
can all get together around a new model of governance in which all
are equal" including telecommunications companies as."They are
integral part of the family with which we must work," President Dilma
agreed that changes in network governance must occur multilaterally
and with the participation of all actors who engage the internet, and
said that "we must not allow economic, political and religious
interests to interfere in the free circulation of ideas."
(translation by Carlos Alonso).
- 20131105- Twitt launching /1net.org for the considerations
described by Peter Van Roste in the Centr document "1net.org – a
summary" www.centr.org/.../centr-ig_update-20131107.pdf
- 20140111- ICANN announce the meeting as by CGI.br and /1net.org

(*)
>According to Chehadé, the world counts on Brazil's leadership on this issue,
>after President Dilma Rousseff spoke at the opening of the 68th UN General
>Assembly, held in September in the United States. "The world heard the
>Brazilian president, who spoke with deep conviction, with great courage, and
>expressed the frustration that many people around the world feel about the
>fact that ***the trust relationship we have with the Internet*** had been
>broken,"said, revealing that the speech by Dilma was the motivation of his
>proposal for their meeting.

Can on trust machines or have we to trust those behind? Who are they?

>Chehadé cited allegations of espionage involving the communication of
>Brazilian authorities and citizens, among them the very president, Petrobras
>and the Ministry of Mines and Energy. "I came to ask the president to
>elevate ***her leadership to a new level,***

higher than national?
Is that not the level of TNC, TransNationalCorporations as they see themselves?

>to ensure that we can all get
>together around a new model of governance in which all are equal,"

equal what: men and women? citizen? customer? information source?

>  he said.
>The president of Icann said that future decisions on how leaders can manage
>the internet should be based on the principles of the Civil Rights Framework
>for the Internet in Brazil which is going through the National Congress.
>
>Fadi Chehadé was yesterday (Oct.7th) with Communications Minister Paulo
>Bernardo, to ask for help from Brazil to start discussions about changes in
>the governance of the Internet, and said that the arrangements should begin
>this year. According to him, the need for a new governing body of the
>Internet requires the involvement of multiple actors, not just the
>government.

Does that mean really: Govs, TNCs, national, medium, small
coporations, SOHOs, civil society, Churches, NGO, engineers,
academics, people on the same footing.

>"I understand that the internet has a new feature that requires active
>participation by governments, their respective agencies within the United
>Nations, but also in the context of users, civil society, the technicians,
>who after all make the Internet work," Chehadé defended.
>For the president of the corporation, academics and industrialists need to
>participate in the debate, as they reflect on rights and carry out the
>management of the Internet infrastructure.
>
>The president of Icann said *** telecommunications companies ***
>must also attend
>the conference."***They are integral part of the family with which we must
>work ***," he said. According to Paulo Bernardo, President Dilma agreed that
>changes in network governance must occur ***multilaterally*** and with the
>participation of ***all actors who engage the internet***, and said
>that "***we must
>not allow economic, political and religious interests to interfere in the
>free circulation of ideas.***" The minister said that the suggestion of the
>president is that the event be held in April 2014 in Rio de Janeiro.

I would be interested in completing this chronology.
- with what jfc may have gathered (I kept the same date format).
- with your comments. In particular for lead users (users having the
capacity to adapt their socket to their needs).

NB. The two most opposite coherent thesis I currently have hearof are:

1. /1net.org is a spontanous proposition of Adiel which fell well in
the international and tense context of governance.

2. Internationalization as tried with Peter Dengate Trush + Homeland
did not suit
   - the US TNCs interests. They need more control security over
their EDI exchanges
   - and militaries who need to be cyberdeterrent IRT crime and other nations.

----

In both cases (i.e. by chance or planned) a "Burn the Phenix" move
was necessary/planned to initate the change. The phoenix was NSA and
Snowden the agent to light the pyre. US allies are OECD and
challengers (politically and commercially) are the BRICS. The ICANN
remaining unicity was the way to build a technical test bridge (Sao
Paulo). It was used with the triple accomodation that :

- no technical governance issues would raised
- ITU Telcos would participate.
- it would be between USCC (cyber command, Fort Meade) and TNC (WTO,
GS1, etc.) as opposed to Users. "we must not allow economic,
political and religious interests to interfere in the free
circulation of [formated] ideas".This is because wa also talk of
formated ideas being EDI, advertizing, politically correct,

Than you
MG