[discuss] Interesting article

Peter Dengate Thrush barrister at chambers.gen.nz
Thu Jan 16 18:57:01 UTC 2014

On 17/01/2014, at 7:41 AM, Jorge Amodio wrote:

>> While the parameter protocols covered by this are no doubt important to the IETF and others, they rarely come to the attention of players outside the technical community, and are not the cause of any of the angst that the control the US has over approving ccTLD changes in the root, or the policy issues over new gTLDs have caused other national governments.
>
> I know that is part of the process, but when was the last time the US approved (or not) a ccTLD change ?

You can check the Board minutes for the last time a ccTLD change was approved - the NTIA process usually follows that within a week or so.
There has not been any time I am aware of that a change request from ICANN has not proceeded.

Other commenters have explained that this so called "power" of the USG is almost entirely illusory, and would be (technically) replaced if it were ever exercised in a way contrary to established procedures.

Its the appearance of the power, plus the fact that many people misunderstand the actual strength of the power that causes the problems.

regards

Peter