[discuss] Interesting article

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jan 16 19:45:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 04:57:58PM -0200, Novoa, Osvaldo wrote:
> I don't know of any case where the ITU has prevented or delayed any number assignment for political reasons but just the same there is an important opposition to tha ITU getting involved in Internet.

I won't speak for others, but I am not opposed to the ITU "getting
involved" in the Internet.  They are welcome to participate just like
everyone else.

What I am opposed to is the ITU taking over control and spiriting it
into the back room where only Official People get to hear or say
anything.  That is the actual way the ITU works, because it's a treaty
organization and only governments actually have a voice.  I believe
that the open standards process of the IETF, just for example, has
served us (i.e. humanity) much better than the rather less open
standards process of the ITU-T, and I therefore don't see any reason
to transfer responsibilities from such open bodies to government-only
bodies like the ITU.  Treaty organizations are great for lots of
things.  This isn't one of them.

Best regards,

Andrew
(3/4)