[discuss] 1Net, Brazil and other RE: BR meeting site launched

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Jan 16 19:48:35 UTC 2014

>Milton maybe you lack some of the background of those who were in Bali,
I definitely do, not having been in Bali. Ironically, however, this seems to have given me a more detached and accurate view of what has been actually goingon . In other words, I watched how things actually evolved on between the Brazilian side organizing the meeting and the ICANN side and was not distracted or misled by any promises/improvisations/etc. made at the Bali meeting.
>that the role of 1net should not be considered restricted to the Brazil meeting
Well, even I don't think 1net is _restricted_ to BR meeting prep. Whether or not it is so restricted, It must play a role in the formation of the committees.
>and that the stakeholders in 1net could themselves decide now to be involved
> in the Brazil meeting preparations, if at all!
Yes, but even that is not directly inconsistent with my view. Sure, it is possible for someone to join the 1net list, pound away at their keyboard about general topics in Internet governance, and not choose to be involved at all in Brazil. But that does not change the fact that from at least early November, specific tasks were pre-assigned to the 1net coordinating committee, and one of those tasks was to help the Brazilian LOG populate the various committees they were proposing to create.
--MM