[discuss] [bestbits] Representative Multistakeholder model validity (was: Re: Selection RE: 1Net, Brazil and other RE: BR meeting site launched)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sat Jan 18 21:44:52 UTC 2014

John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

>   Note - I am not arguing that the _representative_ multistakeholder
> model does not work, only that the validity of any representatives
> appointed via nomination process has its limits and thus should be
> used for coordination and administration, rather than material
> discussions of topics (which are far more appropriate for the _open_
> multistakeholder model.)

When

1) all five business representatives on the /1net Steering Committee are
Americans working for US companies

2) not even one of the three civil society representatives on the “high
level” committee for the São Paulo meeting is from a developing country

3) the “community informatics” community, which has aspects both of
civil society and of academia, is soundly rebuffed from being integrated
into either the “civil society” or the “academic” nomination process

then I think it is clear that we have serious problems with these
nomination processes, problems which go way beyond the fact that “the
validity of any representatives appointed via nomination process has
its limits and thus should be used for coordination and administration,
rather than material discussions of topics”.

Greetings,
Norbert