[discuss] Options for root zone

Dr. Ben Fuller abutiben at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 16:48:25 UTC 2014

All,

In other words ICANN has been doing Internet Governance for many years. Responding the the needs and requests of national governments and stakeholders. The requests for IDN were made, analysed and acted upon. Relevant stakeholders were consulted. A solution that goes beyond a single country to positively impact hundreds of millions of current and potential Internet users was implemented.

Someone at ICANN should write this up. Probably a good idea to do the same for the new gTLDs.

As one who has been following ICANN for over a decade, I acknowledge that there have been issues and problems, but at the same time there has been a great deal of growth in ICANN. We must keep in mind that ICANN represented a new kind of institution. New structures for governance always have teething problems. But, the point is that ICANN has developed the ability to change and modify itself to answer criticisms. This is a process that will go on for some time.

Ben