[discuss] P1 version 2 - I will update from time to time - this one is important

Dr. Ben Fuller ben at fuller.na
Sun Jan 19 20:52:37 UTC 2014

George,

I would start with some analysis of point 2. What are the kinds of changes that ICANN/IANA recommend? Can we develop a typology? The aim being to divide changes into those that are mainly operational/technical and those that would be viewed as problematic. I assume that operational/technical changes can go through in a straightforward manner. We analyse the problematic changes and then focus on what kinds of structures/procedures would be needed to deal with them in a way that is acceptable the widest number of parties. ICANN has 16 years of data.

Three points. One I have a sense that many, and I include myself, don't have a grasp of what takes place when root zone changes are made. What are the procedures? What are the checks and balances? Understanding the process as well as the kind of changes that are made will help to keep the discussion focused.

Two, I assume that there have been controversial/problematic changes to the root zone. Have there been? How were they dealt with? There is the possibility that some are complaining just because it is the US that has the final approval. Still, it will be useful to get those who complain to put forward their concerns as clearly as possible so they can be addressed.

Three, the US House and Senate have both overwhelmingly voted resolutions that direct the US Government to maintain control over the root. Given the current climate in Washington, we cannot expect much of a change here, hence solutions also have to be acceptable inside the Beltway. Peter Dengate Thrush spoke of this a few days ago from a different angle.

Ben