[discuss] P1 version 2 - I will update from time to time - this one is important

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 23:17:03 UTC 2014

Hi George,

Comments in-line

> On Jan 19, 2014, at 1:59 PM, George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Change of title to focus solely on root zone functions:
>

> P1 (ver.2). US Government involvement in IANA root zone functions.
>
> 1. The Internet Assigned Names and Numbers Authority (IANA) has as one of its functions the vetting of changes in the Internet root zone file.  IANA is a part of ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers.

Correction, IANA is not part of ICANN. ICANN is the current contractor to provide the IANA functions, and policy development and IANA are by design separate, as it is root servers operations even when ICANN also operate one of the sets.

> 2. ICANN has a zero-cost contract with the US government to execute this IANA function. In addition, the US government formally approves IANA's recommendations for changes in the root zone file before they are distributed to root zone operators and anycast servers.
>
> 3. Objections have been raised to US government involvement in this process on several grounds, including exclusivity and concerns of trust.  Objections have equally been raised to movement of the function to several international organizations.

Yes but technically and operationally this is not and has not been a problem. Then the " solution" has to address the objections and not IANA operations or ICANN policy development.

> 4. A solution is needed that meets several criteria: (1) protection of the root zone file from political or improper interference; (2) integrity, stability, continuity, security and robustness of operation; (3) widespread trust by Internet users in the organization executing this function and in its administrative mechanisms; and (4) agreement regarding accountability that is broadly perceived to be in the global public interest.

(1) once again this is based on objections and not technical or operational problems.
(2) what are the problems associated with this point ?
(3) the majority of the Internet users have no clue what IANA or ICANN are, and I doubt very much they would care as long as the can still use their favorite services
(4) Agreed

> 5. At present, no such solution appears to exist.

And will never exist until we clearly state what are *exactly* the problems and we clearly *separate* the domains (not talking about DNS) they might exist.

-Jorge