[discuss] ICANN & "security of the DNS" (was: cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on Internet Governance)

S Moonesamy sm+1net at elandsys.com
Tue Jan 21 06:55:26 UTC 2014

Hi David,
At 04:10 20-01-2014, David Cake wrote:
>I know the ICANN security functions well (I was part of the
>Security, Stability and Resiliency review team, chaired by Alejandro
>Pisanty, that comprehensively reviewed ICANNs performance of those
>functions). ICANN absolutely is NOT responsible for all Internet
>security, it is responsible for security of the DNS, but the DNS is
>not the internet  (and it is absolutely not ICANNs responsibility to
>secure content carried by other protocols, except in so far as the
>DNS is part of the security infrastructure). While there are
>legitimate concerns about privacy and surveillance that are within
>ICANNs remit, such as increasing demands by law enforcement
>regarding registrant contact data, ICANNs role being restricted to
>the DNS means it is simply of very limited relevance to NSA
>surveillance scandals.

There is a message from Suzanne Woolf at
http://1net-mail.1net.org/pipermail/discuss/2014-January/001362.html

I read a report (
http://www.icann.org/en/about/aoc-review/ssr/final-report-20jun12-en.pdf
) to try and understand the above.  From the report:

   "In its statement of core values, ICANN assumes responsibility not only for
    coordinating the allocation of resources and the operation of the DNS, but
    also for preserving and enhancing the operational stability, reliability,
    security, and global interoperability of the Internet."

I'll note that the text I quoted above might cause the reader to draw
an incorrect conclusion as it does not reflect what was discussed in
the report.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy