[discuss] USG- IANA relationship (was: Interesting article)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jan 22 08:04:43 UTC 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 8:25 PM, Alejandro Pisanty <apisanty at gmail.com> wrote:
> this is indeed a scenario that has been worked out for several cycles over the years.
>
> One of the most exciting parts is that a stand-alone NRO without the full ICANN architecture would be subject to intense anti-trust inspection in the US or Europe and most likely found at fault. This scenario underlines the importance of a fully architected ICANN for all its players and, most importantly, for its ability to be a competent steward caring for these participants' interests and for the principles held dear by a global population of non- or indirect participants.
>
> Understanding of this angle is one of the key boundary conditions for solving George Sadowsky's formulation of the successive layers of the problem.

Alejandro -

    I will hold my remarks (which I'm afraid would be rather lengthy) until there is a specific solution
    being proposed, but suffice to say that I agree that such aspects need to be fully considered in
    any scenario but I can imagine a very wide range of possible mechanisms for mitigation.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.