[discuss] Problem definition 1, version 5

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Wed Jan 22 16:28:48 UTC 2014

I have a comment/suggestion and a question about point 2:
> 2. ICANN has a zero-cost contract with the US government to perform
> >>the IANA functions. The US government authorizes changes made to
> >>the root zone by verifying that ICANN abides by publicly documented
> >>policies prior to the changes being submitted for implementation.

Comment/Suggestion: Where the second sentence says "The US government
authorizes changes made to the root zone by verifying that ICANN abides
by publicly documented policies prior to the changes being submitted for
implementation." the process being discussed might be made clearer by
adding an IANA role statement. With this it would read: "After IANA
verifies that ICANN has conformed to publicly documented review
policies, the US government authorizes that changes be made to the root
zone."

Question: First a bit of background. I'm involved with the application
by the city of New York for the .nyc TLD. In my capacity as a member of
city hall's .NYC Advisory Board, this past November I sought guidance
for the new administration as to the meaning of section C.2.9.2.d of the
IANA agreement. Section C.2.9.2.d requires input from relevant
stakeholders. In a city of 8.2 million residents I sought clarity as to
how input from relevant stakeholders might be demonstrated. My request
to the NTIA for documentation on its C.2.9.2.d requirements remains, I
presume, under review / in-process. </background> My question: How do we
create a governance ecology that empowers and enables cities and
Internet users to object to an unclear or under-applied review process?

Thomas Lowenhaupt