[discuss] Draft Status Report - [was Problem definition 1, version 4]

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Wed Jan 22 19:50:06 UTC 2014

At 19:24 21/01/2014, Ben fuller wrote:
>Whenever I have taught research methods, I always tell my students
>that defining the research question is the most important part of the process.

Ben,

If you want to compare to research, George is only presenting a
charter for a tutorial work group.

1. The definition of the research question has been formulated by
Nathalie and has not yet (and, therefore, not consensually) been
answered: "what is the Internet?".
2. George being a Member of the ICANN BoD (not expressing in his
mails until today [while they have been noted by every Gov]that he
was not speaking on behalf of ICANN);
3. George is acting as a de facto WG chair using the ICANN /1Net
mailing list as the ICANN/WG/1NET mailing list.

However, we are not in research here; we are in a political move that
disregards most of all the other contextual elements. Some political
evaluation questions are (this is part of a draft working report of mine):

1. why is George presenting that topic for a pre-Sao Paulo work when
this is not a published priority, such an opposition to balkanization
or an incentive for IPv6?
2. why is this ICANN/WG/1NET in need of a BRICS co-lead meeting?

The response seems (after yesterday's announcement) to be clear
enough now for those used to analyzing the digisphere development.
However, why is ICANN adopting such a convoluted approach for an
extension of the internet governance "territory"? The only rational
explanation at this time seems to be: in order to obtain a
significant multilateral endorsement before any open-use wider
non-monopolistic vision can develop.

One must wait for the designation of the 4 committee chairs and the
announcement of the 11 lead Govs in order to understand the whole
picture. Anyway, the plan of enlarging the internet governance to
ICANN introduced newcomers to the detriment of the IETF (Brian
Carpenter being active in refusing the concept of a technical
governance), the still unorganized net aspects of the FLOSS, IUsers,
and of the open use, is architecturally unbalancing (please consider
who the Sao Paulo selected "technicians" are, and their branch of expertise).

This translates into the two current working trends that I have
observed that are led by George Sadowsky and JFC Morfin.

I. ICANN WORKING TREND

George Sadowsky's preemptive proposition is in line with the usual
ICANN attempts (GNSO, AtLarge, Registrars, IANA, gTLDs, DNSSEC,
etc.). It consists in switching the ICANN politically attributed
"market monopoly" to a self-rooted technical global monopoly,
supposedly free from the US Gov umbrella. As usual, this will not
work because naming, addressing, and coding belong to the users' use.
The ICANN "globalization" move can only lead to a reinforcement of
the US uniformity's influence against the users' global internet - as
technically observed through Unicode.

However, George's proposition is important enough by what it says on
the ICANN ambitions and by the support (people and organizations) it
meets. It is necessary to establish the ICANN/BRICS (and other Govs)
Sao Paulo settlement over the extension of the ICANN DNS role to ONS.

As quoted on this list: "... Separately, the leaders of the
Internet's multi-stakeholder governing organizations have renewed
calls to modernize the Internet's governing system and make it more
inclusive. Their recent statement from Montevideo should be seen as
an opportunity to seek that broad inclusion and for organizing
multistakeholder responses to Internet issues that do not have a home
today. And we must work together with them in good faith on these
important issues. I think we can and all should agree that this
effort cannot be used or manipulated in a way that centralizes power
over the Internet in the hands of any one stakeholder.  ..."

Ambassador Daniel A. Sepulveda
Deputy Assistant Secretary and U.S. Coordinator for International
Communications and Information Policy, Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs
Bali, Indonesia
October 22, 2013

How well said that is! ICANN is, therefore, positioning itself as a
non-stakeholder that is "servicing" every supposedly significant stakeholder.

II. IUSE WORKING TREND

The clarification of the intelligent use' doctrine seems to develop
in parallel, based upon the idea that every stakeholder is
significant. I analyze the following convergence as follows:

   1. the Internet is an incomplete proof of concept that overexposes
the world economy, nations, and people to cyberwar/crime actions.
This was exemplified by the NSA's ease in penetrating actually
non-technologically protected US and non-US systems. The Internet
weakness proceeds from the incompletion of the IEN 48 plan irt.
catenet and the lack of extension to the Tymnet multitechnological
level. The US technology at its present level cannot be trusted.

   2. if Sao Paulo is a strategic success, along the Fadi/Dilma's
less and less undisclosed GS1 oriented projects, the technical
situation will become critical for the network unless ISOC has plans
for a non yet  disclosed correlative architectural move, in which
case the technical situation would probably become harassing for
IUsers and end-users, i.e. the people who would be definitely
transformed in big data intellectual (state and private intelligence
agencies) and physical (RFIDs) sources.

   3. Until now, an open code effort for the completion of the
catenet/tymnet phase of the IEN 48 project was risky as crime-states
("state" being every entity that can change the state of the world)
and corporate-state TNCs (transnational corporations) could use it
against nation states. Snowdenia has raised enough public attention
to decrease that risk and make political concerns better understood
when necessary to the stability of peace, commerce and life in the
digital ecosystem, such as the Tallinn-Manual issues and
cybercrime/warfare somatic (i.e. human/physical) losses and threat prevention.

   4. since:

       - they are excluded from Sao Paulo's IG revamp preparation by ICANN
       - GS1/ONS issues are snuck in, instead of being openly published
       - phase 2 Internet (cf. IEN 48 second motivation)
catenet/tymnet level's distributed architecture is not considered
       - MS cooperative governance is incompatible with the concept
of single root based unified/uniform/unique governance (BUG)
centralized under ICANN coordination (in Joe Sims' continuity with
the Zbigniew Brzezinski's doctrine that the peace of the world rests
on global cooperation, ... coordinated by the USA).

   5. they are waiting for a full confirmation of their expectations
by the Sao Paulo meeting committees to proceed independently in
exploring, documenting, developing, validating, deploying, and
governing a digital experience that everyone can use better rather
than a few who can sell better (which does not exclude the latter).

III. ANALYSIS

The only stable solution (i.e. reducing general conflicts in local
ones) is to distribute the MS power on the network throughout
specialized enhanced cooperation initiatives as agreed at the WSIS.

ICANN has partly understood this but does not want itself to melt as
a stakeholder in a coalition. The USGasked Joe Sims to  design ICANN
to run the show. The only chage they can do is to close their shop:
it would be too soon in the transition. They have called upon
academic people for a make-believe extended MSism and in the hope of
a proposition of theoretical innovations that they could use and
master (i.e. decide themselves the parameters to enter in the IANA):
this would make them necessary.

This is a clever move. However, the real internet innovation can only
come from lead and intelligent users (i.e. from the kind of users who
expect more from a better use of the internet and know how to obtain
it) and/or be proven by them. This is something ICANN has overlooked
so far: "[the internet] rejects kings, presidents, and voting. [it]
believe[s] in rough consensus and running code". This is what makes
IUsers the competent competitors of their own providers.

1. It seems that ICANN and Brazil have forgotten so far that in a
people centered society (e.g. Information Society) the users are a
necessary, main part of the MS consensus building process. One should
not try to squeeze their rights, expectations, and interests for too
long; otherwise growth will suffer.

2. IETF has eventually understood this (IUCG) and provided a
technical housing to the IUsers community. This community still has
not properly identified itself. However, this self-identification may
be spurred in reaction to the ICANN Sao Paulo strategy. It will
probably take a few years to develop and deploy until it will make
forget dinosaurs like ICANN. This will be a form of smooth transition
as good as any other one since ICANN refuses innovative cooperation
from its very inception.

3. I understand that the architectural proposition of JFC Morfin (who
was in charge of this area at Tymnet) is now simple enough: to
consensually work in continuity on the intellition (intelligent
connections) layers on the network side (i.e. the missing internet
presentation layer six) and on the intelligent use of the network on
the computer side.

4. I understand that as a result he has delayed his ISOC appeal
concerning the lack of consensus building governance in the technical
area (OpenStand general level) in RFC 6852, considering that the
IUsers could form a "global community" market, powerful and
structured enough not to endorse OpenStand but live with it until
experience teach them the proper form of cooperation.

Anyway, the ball is in ICANN and/or Brazil's court.