[discuss] Question

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Jan 22 21:54:40 UTC 2014

At 20:25 22/01/2014, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> > how could we really
> > ensure an 'open Internet' by allowing various ISPs to provide
> > services through the same cables? Could cables enabling
> > multiple ISP access be a requirement for 'net neutrality'?
>
>Exactly.

The question is also what you mean by net neutrality.

In addition, in spite of the laudable Jorge trust's, you can NOT even
trust that the overall architecture and technology will do its best
to send a data packet from point A to point B. Please read
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3238 to understand why, which is purely
architectural. RFC 3914, 4037, 4496 can then be of interest.

All that boils down to your initial question which is "what is the internet".

The internet actually is a bunch of IETF documents. Joe Sims that
Michel Gauthier quoted is the lawyer who wrote the ICANN by-laws and
was its initial (well paid lawyer). The real interest of ICANN is
that Joe Sims contractually transformed technical adhesion to this
bunch of IETF documents in an a contractual obligation. This created
the ICANN community. Then ICANN itself, seeing that its own contract
with the NTIA was not enough, signed a Declaration of Commitment.

Business needs stability. ICANN tries to "sell" its contractual
stability as a trustable island in an untrusted ocean. This is
certainly a good idea. The mistake is that ICANN was designed to only
trust the USG instead of being able to mutually builid an archipelago
of trust (what the WSIS has called enhanced cooperation).

As a result ICANN wants to lead an MS process rather than participate
to an enhanced cooperation that MS endeavours could trust. The
OpenStand and the Montevideo statement could have permitted Sao Paulo
to consider a multinational enhanced cooperation. It is now clear
that Sao Paulo is not about stabilizing trust but about extending the
ICANN reach, and therefore its distrustable instability.

We will certainly wait and see if BRICS/OECD could come up with a
credible complement. But our hopes have decreased.

Best
jfc