[discuss] Problem definition 1, version 5

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Jan 23 02:26:57 UTC 2014

From: John Curran [mailto:jcurran at arin.net]

Carolina:
No, we have a different understanding and definition of the problem. I see it as a 'source of authority/legitimacy' problem - George simply says that people are dissatisfied with US control of the IANA contract.

>Milton -
>
>Those two views are not necessarily that far apart...

I agree.

>However, your original comment definitely confused me, as it discussed authority/legitimacy
>only in terms of delegation and nation-states -

It was not intended to. I of all people explicitly recognize that the "organically developed internet institutions" such as IETF have their own (self-generated) authority and legitimacy.

>Do you support working on the smaller problem statement
>that he's provided as an first step, or are there changes that you
>would propose to make it more workable?

I could propose minor modifications that would make it more on point, if people want me to.