[discuss] Problem definition 1, version 5

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Jan 23 15:10:30 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
>Just for clarification: the new institutional framework would
>be neither public nor private but something hybrid called
>multi-stakeholder that includes governments?

I think the organizational form should be private, and insofar as governments participated, it would be as individual agencies or even as individual experts and not as unitary actors pretending to speak with one voice for an entire national polity. I have never had any trouble with participation by governmental actors in MS institutions. We just need to carefully distinguish between an intergovernmental structure, in which states, not individuals and organizations, are the basic units of representation and action, and multistakeholder structures which are open to multiple voices and divergent interests from the same country.