[discuss] Problem definition 1, version 5

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 21:27:35 UTC 2014

Dear George,

Here are a few passages where I think further information could be useful.
Do you think some of this info would be easily retrieved and linked? That
would be very helpful.

Best!
Marília

P1 (ver.5). US Government involvement in IANA root zone functions.

1. The Internet Assigned Names and Numbers Authority (IANA) has as one of
its functions the vetting of changes in the Internet root zone file *(link
that explains IANA function)*.  The members of the team that performs the
IANA functions (*team, terms of contract*) are employed by ICANN
(*link),*the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers.

2. ICANN has a zero-cost contract with the US government (*link to the
contract)* to perform the IANA functions. The US government authorizes
changes made to the root zone by verifying that ICANN abides by publicly
documented policies (*link*) prior to the changes being submitted for
implementation.

3. It has been a requirement for the contractor providing the IANA function
to be a US organization (l*ink, paragraph number)*, resulting in the
provision of the IANA function being subject to US law and the decisions of
the US judiciary.

4. Objections have been raised to US government involvement in this process
on several grounds, including exclusivity and concerns of trust. Objections
have equally been raised to movement of the function to several
international organizations.

5. Acceptable solutions for assignment of the IANA root zone function
should meet several criteria: (1) protection of the root zone from
political or other improper interference; (2) integrity, stability,
continuity, security and robustness of the administration of the root zone;
(3) widespread trust by Internet users in the administration of this
function; (4) support of a single unified root zone; and (5) agreement
regarding an accountability mechanism for this function that is broadly
accepted as being in the global public interest.

6. A number of potential solutions have been proposed; however, there has
been no consensus that any of them are broadly acceptable.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:20 AM, George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at gmail.com