[discuss] Governmental participation (Was: Problem definition 1, v5)

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Jan 27 00:43:25 UTC 2014

John, Joseph,

I am quite busy with some revamping of my computers system so I have
not had much time to seriously respond to a series of key questions
of Joseph (attached) where Brian and Nathalie were pertinent
contributors. Your "not to be disdained" contribution adds in its way
to Joseph's questions. My ongoing working responses may lead to an
I_D or two and an international summer BarCamp that I will announce
in a few days.

Actually the problem we face is easy enough to diagnose after
Poincaré, Einstein and with the the NSA PRISM example in mind.

The networking paradigm that most are still using is
classic/Newtonian. Since Poincaré, we know however that an n-nodes
network revolves around attractors and, since Einstein, we have
integrated that into our physical world attractors who are linked in
part to the time 4th dimension. This has a dramatic impact on
politics for a simple reason: along Aristotle, policy is THE
architectonic science that since Athens (democracy) networks the
three archons who replace the monarch (archon eponymous [including
economy], archon basileus ["interior": justice, state religion] and
archon polemarch ["exterior": war, diplomacy]). Einstein has actually
added the political responsibility of "ulterior", and technology has
added the huge architectonical extension of our capacity to build a
new time-disputed [innovation vs. entropy] environment, which has its
own three dimensions (data [i.e. knowledge], metadata [data on data,
i.e. science)], and syllodata [data between (linked) data) i.e.
intelligence comprehension]).

What we are discussing are the missing archeon architarch's functions
(nationally and internationally, knowing that the "city" description
(kingdoms,nations, nation-states, etc.) is itself evaluating.

In this new 7D world, common good oriented policy 3D based democratic
systems are not obsolete but incompletely scale, and in our current
implementation of economy is no longer based on the satisfaction of
everybody's needs under the State "care" (now extended to
"precaution" in reference to the technological ulterior impact), but
rather on the satisfaction of the merchants (ab)using salespeople and
workers. The adaptation to this situation calls for architectonic
considerations (i.e. deeper than their resolution in an emerging
paradigm, e.g. RFC 6852).

This consideration should lead us to at least two identifications:

1. the world stewardship uses three main ruling layers:
norms/constitution, standard/law, contract/best-practices. What we
call governance relates to the standard/law mid-term layer. We seem to tend:

1.1.  to confuse its discussion with norms/constitutional
concordance, long-term conventions (technologies), or principles

1.2.  and to pollute with short-term cases. We need a real conceptual
metanoia (change of one's mind to adapt to the new reality).

2. the non-Einstenian change results from the digital
renormalization, i.e. the discovery that:

2.1. we can replace Euclidian points [unity] to point continuity by
Jacquard's pixel discontinuity that we can share with machines
(punching: Bouchon) binary (Leibnitz) treated by Turing machines.

2.2. the universe is built along a simple formula that we have known
since Aristotle but could not explain until Carnot, Fuller, and
Shannon: "the whole is more than the sum of its parts [negentropy]
which is more than the time preceding sum [entropy]"; the reason for
this is the agoric (discipline of agoras as spaces of autonomous
telematons) synergy (sometimes helped by catalysis, and delayed by
hysteresis). The smallest part of the universe we can imagine is the
difference between two successive quantum microstates (we identify to
a bit in information, affected by negentropic/entropic potentiality
in intellition [cf. infra]).

Norbert Wiener has perfectly identified the resulting problem: "we
created the machine to our image" (this has added their dimensions to
our anthropos+bot universe). We can add that we created to them the
likeness of a few of them.

Today, our problem is to make all the machines to the likeness of
each person (and other machines) and provide every man/woman the
mastering of the continuities [intellition] of his/her digisphere's
discontinuities [information], subjectively (personal intelligence)
and objectively (communication of others' inputs), for them to freely
conduct their projective course (resulting in ecosystemic emergence)

As a result, we can spend a lot of time on ICANN oriented/coordinated
rhetoric as we have done for 15 years: this may help to better define
and filter the issues, but we will achieve nothing without the
appropriate architectonic methodology.

The problem is that the thinking tools that we use are out scaled by
the complexity of the problem itself (i.e. networking). Networking is
about links i.e. "lects". Since Aristotle (again), we have meshed
thinking out of pure searching for rhetoric adhesion through
dialectic syllogisms (and chains of syllogisms [sorites]) that lead
to conclusions. Wiener made us identify the thinking atom (unit),
i.e. the monolectic cybernetics where action leads to reaction. When
Norman Hardy and co. started designing Tymnet, out of return on
investment necessity, they actually acknowledged the polylectic
nature of a networked ecosystem (agora) and of its return on man/hour
and infrastructural investment. It is noteworthy that when they
incorporated after the counter-strategic acquisition of
Tymnet/Tymshare they created "Agorics Inc." with key contributions in
current systems (Hurd, Midori) security.

We need an agoric thinking methodology, economy, and technology
introducing the intellition continuity between the information
discontinuity and the communication pre-continuity building. The
thinking methodology is workable, the technology tools are available,
PRISM shows that intellition is THE key product, and its location (on
the fringe) between communications and information was identified by Brian.

To answer in part the question of Nathalie: the internet is an
available "sub-network" (cf. IEN 78) set for this solution. It was a
proof of concept to prove the validity of Louis Pouzin's catenet
concept. It was supposed to go further: this is what we are confronted to.

These are still missing today:
* a general model,
* its normative description,
* some standardization examples,
* an open co-operation running mode,
* running mode validation prototypes in the existing context (i.e.
the Internet),
* IMHO this is why we need a technical governance agreement on the
way to use the internet as its own test-bed,
* to start with a missing presentation layer six consolidation (as
illustrated by RFC 5895) to root a powerful active content oriented
fringe to fringe architectural offshoot (at this stage we are totally
outside of what is today called the internet of the IG being
discussed [Note: I never saw any IG consideration of OPES]).

Last, we have to remember two things:
1. the internet example is a proof of concept based on limitations to
passive text in datagrams, i.e. with no format diversity and active
content (layer six presentation, difference between data [given data:
information plex], capta [received i.e. communication plex]) and
tracta [network processed intellition plex]. The governance of the
internet is quite a limited basis of experience when we want to
discuss its societal impact.

2. that "law = code" also means "code = law", which in turn means
that technical concordance is of the essence to political governance
and usership MSist operation management (co-operance). Also that code
- law = 0, i.e. chaos emptiness from which myriads of "(1)+(-1)" can
proceed (what is not entirely the case in a fractal deterministic
chaos, as "deterministic" means that law>0).

jfc