[discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jan 28 16:55:03 UTC 2014

In message <52E6D9FB.4010405 at gmail.com>, at 11:13:15 on Tue, 28 Jan
2014, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> writes
>Way back in history, there was a time when many different email systems
>were in use, and there was no global DNS. At that time, some of us had
>to deal with the situation, since a balkanized email world was no use
>to us. The consequences were multiple, including at least
>
>1. The need to pay for highly skilled staff and additional equipment
>to implement and operate multi-protocol mail gateways.
>
>2. The need for end users to understand details of various email
>addressing schemes, and in some cases to compose ad hoc addresses
>(which in my case usually included !mcvax, !unido or !seismo
>as well as !cernvax, not to mention things like %bitnet). In this case
>it was the lack of a single root for a single namespace that actually
>forced the end user to understand routes. No pun intended.
>
>3. Frequent long delays and delivery failures.
>
>So, if we had a balkanized DNS namespace, I'm sure we'd figure
>out ways round it, but I'd expect issues like the above to return,
>for all services, and enormous costs and lost business as a result.

I'd like to know if you think that Facebook (etc) have Balkanised the
email addressing space by allocating me [or did I claim it, not sure
about that...] an email identity within their social networking site
that differs from any in the ICANN global DNS space.

roland.perry as anyone who is interested knows, and anyone who wasn't
interested can easily discover.
--
Roland Perry