[discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Jan 30 00:30:09 UTC 2014

On 20:14 29/01/2014, Barry Shein said:
>THE TECHNICAL PROBLEM is that CNAMES don't have these classes.

Please note that CNAMEs point to FQDNs wich have a class. This makes
it messy both ways.

>Of course that could be fixed -- add a class field to CNAME RRs, for
>example, encourage everyone to rework their zone files and software.
>SMOP (Simple Matter Of Programming.)

I am sure that this will call endless IETF discussions; and then a
transition period. This is the same as the IDNA2003/2008 transition.
 From a user point of view 256 classes can be freely assigned. Until
the IETF C/DNAME classlessness confusion is clarified, InterUsers
classes will not support CNAMEs/DNAMEs. Other options (may) exist:
they should be first discussed as per Moakapetris' last week
presentation and ICANN/ICP-3, then tested, reported and discussed.

>Also, did anyone mention split-horizons? Ok then, split-horizons (it
>probably isn't wortwhile discussing.)

idem. This whole issue is to be considered in LISP and
intertechnology context. The internet (and hence its governance) is to mature.

I can only repeat: IEN 48 had two motivations in succession:

1. to prove that Louis Pouzin's catenet concept could be extended
globally (i.e. the internet). This is completed.
2. to prove that this global extension could extend to the Tymnet
intertechnology.concept (the intertech). This is what we have to do.

The main resulting question for the Internet Governance is therefore
how the WSIS concensus on an MS-IG will address this architectonical
(politics, international, architectural, technical, societal)
challenge. There are two possibilities: united or not united. United
means that MS equal footing extends to end-users. Not united means
that some consider end-users as consumers and restrict equal footing
to Govs and TransNationalCorps with some of them being more equal than others.

jfc