[discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Thu Jan 30 03:00:33 UTC 2014

I think much of the discussion in SSAC09, the 2006 report on alternate roots http://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/alt-tlds-roots-report-31mar06-en.pdf,  remains relevant, though obviously the advent of new commercial gTLDs removes almost of the commercial interest in new TLDs via alternate roots, and the demand for alternate roots to support IDNs has been mostly removed due to the hard work put in by many people at ICANN to get to the point of allocation of IDN TLDs. That still leaves categories such as experimental registries (Namecoin is a current example), private domains, political and protest motivated domains.

Regards

David