[discuss] [governance] [bestbits] Fwd: Heads up on Brazil meeting preparation

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Jan 30 04:03:45 UTC 2014

On 30/01/14 03:34, John Curran wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2014, at 2:10 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What this, combined with your words concerning the (relative lack of
>> substantive) significance of 1net, suggests to me is that in your perception
>> the Brazil meeting seems now to have become nothing more than a "topical
>> seminar" of no more significance than a passing debate on the BB or
>> Governance e-list or a rather compressed and unanchored version of the IGF.
>>
>> Is this correct?
> No.
>
> As stated before, I have no view of the Brazil meeting; I was referring
> solely to the role of 1net as a discussion forum, which is equivalent to
> any other topical seminar in terms of its legitimacy in that role.

Although I have received pressure (even by a civil society colleague) to
drop this issue for my own good, it seems to me that 1net stands on an
untenable footing until it has cleared up the disconnect between its
framing as just a "discussion forum" or "topical seminar", with its
actions as a "movement", including those purportedly taken on its behalf
in relation to the Brazil meeting and the website without the
endorsement of the list or a resolution of the steering committee.

Is 1net really of and for its participants, or is it still being
controlled by the same technical community representatives (presumably
Adiel) who negotiated the addition of 1net's name and logo to the Brazil
website, and its role in the meeting?  Even if that is water under the
bridge now, what if other actions are taken in 1net's name in future?
Might we soon see 1net endorsing other initiatives or issuing statements
out of the blue?

These concerns can't just be dismissed as unimportant.  It is a simple
matter of internal governance that needs to be clarified one way or the
other.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

*WCRD 2014 - Fix Our Phone Rights!* |
http://consint.info/fix-our-phone-rights

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.