[discuss] shifts in IANA/accountability discussion: your thoughts?

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 10:43:05 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Jordan Carter <jordan at internetnz.net.nz>
wrote:

> I think there have been some steps forward in terms of acknowledging
> feedback and changing the process in response, but more to be done esp in
> linking the two processes together, if I had to sum it up in a sentence.
>
> What do others think?

Me thinks even if they are not linked, one would expect the overall IANA
oversight proposal to include the process to making the IANA operator
accountable. While its a good thing that ICANN is trying to improve on its
internal accountability measures, the more important one is to ensure that
the oversight proposal has mechanism for accountability checks inplace.

The ICANN accountability implementation and further improvement on it will
definitely be a continuous exercise, but the oversight replacement
mechanism needs to be clear and well defined to ensure that ICANN
accountability processes operate within the mechanism guidelines. So for me
i liken the oversight mechanism as the bylaw and the ICANN accountability
as a guideline operating within the oversight mechanism.

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*