[discuss] shifts in IANA/accountability discussion: your thoughts?

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 05:16:14 UTC 2014

Hello Barry,

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:

> From: Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>
> >The overall point is that everything man made has cost associated to it
> one
> >way or the other; it is either paid or paid for.
> >So when someone says "internet should be free", I can only hope that he is
> >saying "internet cost should be paid FOR by someone else". While also
> >indicating the specific person to pay so we go pursuing him/her.
>
> I realize we're veering somewhat off-topic

I agree, just this last one ;)

> but it is true that in much of the world you can get pretty good internet
> access for free if you
> can get your hands on a device. You just need a free wi-fi spot and a
> little electricity of course.

Yeah free to you but not free to someone else, because it is being paid
for. Maybe you take some time to ask those providing free internet how they
came about it.

> The important change is the barrier to (basic) entry which is approaching
> zero rapidly even as we debate whether or not that is possible.

Yeah internet cost is reducing, and this is pure market competition and
also due to government regulations in some country.

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*