[discuss] shifts in IANA/accountability discussion: your thoughts?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Jun 20 10:55:00 UTC 2014

On Jun 19, 2014, at 4:17 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:

> I would hope seeking remedy in a court would be a last resort and
> several preliminary steps of process and remedy by non-juridical means
> were codified in any accountability framework.

Additionally, such recourse doesn't actually resolve the situation where
the organization in question simply decides that its own "best judgement"
on a policy matter is better than the duly-formed and considered consensus
of the community, i.e. if there is no structural framework of membership
or consultation with the community which binds the organization to be
accountable, then there is nothing to remedy via judicial means...

As you note, it would be more helpful if there were mechanisms within our
global community which could serve to provide feedback and act as a deterrent
from organizations with policy authority from departing from commitment to
open and transparent processes, accountability to the effected community, etc.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer: my views alone.