[discuss] configuration of the maillist server from 1net.org

willi uebelherr willi.uebelherr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 16:16:51 UTC 2014

Dear friends,

in the Mailman admin documentation i found this text:

http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/I+use+Gmail-Googlemail%2C+but+I+can%27t+tell+if+any+of+my+messages+have+been+posted+to+the+list

2.8. Help! I use Gmail/Googlemail, but I can't tell if any of my
messages have been posted to the list!

Q: I use Gmail/Googlemail, but when I send a message to a list that I am
subscribed to, but I never get a copy back.

A: There is a problem with gmail/googlemail - when you send a message to
a mailing list, any mailing list, gmail doesn't show you your own
message as it comes back from the list. Everybody else sees it, even
other gmail users, but not you. And replies to your message will be
threaded with your post as you sent it, not as it came back (ie without
list headers, subject tags or footers). This is a "feature" of gmail,
and there is nothing you or the list administrator can do about it.

For Google's explanation of this, see
<http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6588>.

Note that the Google explanation appears to say that your message from
the list will be archived in "All Mail", but this is not correct. The
only message in "All Mail" is your original message from "Sent". The
actual message from the list with all headers and the list's footer and
header if any is apparently not saved anywhere by Google.

If your list has archives that you can check, you can at least see
whether or not your message got posted to the list. You can also set
your Mailman option "Receive acknowledgement mail when you send mail to
the list?" to Yes. Beyond that, unfortunately there is nothing else we
can do to help you.

in the Google help i found:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6588

Not receiving email from groups
When you send mail to any group or mailing list you subscribe to, Gmail
automatically skips your inbox and archives the message to save you time
and prevent clutter. The message will appear in your inbox if someone
responds to it or if there is an error delivering the message. If you'd
like to view your message, you can find it in Sent Mail or All Mail.

I don't know the history of this stupid filtering from Google. Maybe,
they use the message-id. It is a helpful information for thread ordering
of mails.

With this information now i understand the wrong situation with the
mailman lists like 1net.org. It is a problem of my google-account and
have nothing to do with the mailman-server from www.1net.org or
www.nro.net. It is a very good example of non-neutrality in the internet.

If any people have an idea for a bypass or workaround, it would be very
great.

Please excuse my accusations.

many greetings, willi
Panama City