[discuss] shifts in IANA/accountability discussion: your thoughts?

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Sun Jun 22 16:39:27 UTC 2014

Shatan, Gregory S. <GShatan at ReedSmith.com> [2014-06-20 14:52:32 +0000]:
> A world in which a "free" internet is run by sovereign governments (and/or an intergovernmental organization like the ITU) and paid for by taxes or licenses on users seems like a huge step in the wrong direction, and one that many from all sectors have worked hard to avoid.

I would also find equally unviable the idea of a world in which the
spaces we work on are private property with relationships built on
contract and property law, in which notions of human rights guaranteed
in constitutions, bills of rights, and international HR documents (which
are after all applicable *against states* not corporations) don't apply.

Unfortunately, not as many and not as many sectors have worked hard to
avoid this or to develop new binding regimes of rights against large
corporations or to articulate the legal basis for arguing for the
Internet as a public good/space guided by something other than private
contractual/property relations.

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society