[discuss] shifts in IANA/accountability discussion: your thoughts?

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 17:18:48 UTC 2014

Hello Pranesh,

Perhaps it may be useful to respond to this one, kindly find my comment
inset.

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org>
wrote:

> Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> [2014-06-19 23:16:50 +0100]:
> > The overall point is that everything man made has cost associated to it
> one
> > way or the other; it is either paid or paid for.
> > So when someone says "internet should be free", I can only hope that he
> is
> > saying "internet cost should be paid FOR by someone else". While also
> > indicating the specific person to pay so we go pursuing him/her.
>
> When someone says access to <public utility> should be free, they do not
> mean that providing access to <public utility> doesn't cost money (often
> borne by taxpayers or corporations). They mean that access to <public
> utility> should be free.

Well maybe you should read through this thread and put my statement above
in context; i can only wish  what you indicated above is what willi meant,
if it is then fine (in the name of free speech).

> I don't necessarily agree with this viewpoint.  But it doesn't help to
> argue whether there are costs associated with <public utility> when no one
> is making an argument that there are no costs associate with <public
> utility>.

I am not sure you read through the thread; When someone insist that a
public facility should be free, there are 2 things that is involved:
- Either the person has the resources to get such facility to be MADE free.
OR
- Is talking to someone/group that can make such facility to be free.

If its the former, then there is not need for all the discussion. However i
presume its for the latter, which is why all this discussion happened.

Unless you are saying a statement calling for a free service does not
necessarily need a response and/OR need to be acted upon.

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*