[discuss] FT: France lashes out at internet naming body Icann

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 20:16:31 UTC 2014

Let the sleeping giants lie. Geopolitical rumblings when left unresolved can breed unease, contempt and backfire when least expected. History is a grand teacher. Rumblings are not knew and have started as early as Malvinas/British Falklands, Amazon and now Champagne.

The ultimate test of leadership is to convert the challenge/threat into an opportunity. Wisdom is what is needed to navigate in this hour.

The two current schools of thought on how ICANN should be governed, that is:

Have wider considerations on impact on delegation that include but are not limited to the vulnerable groups and communities.

Administer delegations technically and efficiently.

The use of the word "efficient" invokes two further streams of thoughts, namely:

1)Efficient for who, and which stakeholders?
2)Purely administration?

If the majority of the community choose (2) then equity would demand that principles for selection of delegation be done outside of ICANN, which I don't envisage happening.

The GAC also is constituted by regulators representatives and not high level state officials, so we have seen nothing yet. But wisdom to navigate is needed.

Sent from my iPad