[discuss] FT: France lashes out at internet naming body Icann

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at internet-ecosystem.org
Mon Jun 23 14:29:23 UTC 2014

It is, however, there’s a serious edge to it: when countries that support the multi-stakeholder model attack one of the most prominent models of it so publicly, it isn’t awfully helpful.

On 23 Jun 2014, at 03:26, joseph alhadeff <joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com> wrote:

> This is just old wine (whine?) in a new bottle...
>
> For those who can't get enough of the "Appellation" issue, a law review article on the history as it relates to Champagne - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/ElderLRev/2013/2.pdf
>
> Joe
> On 6/22/2014 3:59 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> On 23/06/2014 07:24, Barry Shein wrote:
>>> Not intended as any comment on this particular issue I've long said to
>>> others involved that one of these days "adults" are going to show up
>>> at this party.
>>>
>>> It looks like it's finally happening.
>>>
>>> So much for the wannabe academics, policy wonks, and trust fund babies
>>> running the show...
>>>

>>> (Milton: oh stop it -- you are an actual academic.)
>> I seriously doubt that any court will see a difference between
>> champagne.com, champagne.fr and champagne.vin when it comes
>> to protecting the designation of wines from Champagne. This is
>> just more of the huffing and puffing we've seen for the last 15
>> years; I don't see it as a sign of real change.
>>
>>     Brian

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
Executive Director, Internet & Digital Ecosystem Alliance (IDEA)
Tel: +41 (22) 534 99 45
Fax: : +41 (22) 594-85-44
Mobile: +41 79 595 5468
USA Tel: +1 (202) 640-5430
email: nashton at internet-ecosystem.org
Jabber/GTalk: nashtonhart at gmail.com
PGP Fingerprint: BFD5  DF7 7 2E D5 8 636  92E7  735 7 07 03 7 727  9B0A  522 6
Skype: nashtonhart
www.internet-ecosystem.org

One-click digital business card for your address book: http://evaunt.me/vEbDF/NickAshton-Hart