[discuss] Some more legal tangles for ICANN

Chris Disspain ceo at auda.org.au
Sat Jun 28 09:57:39 UTC 2014

HI Parminder,

> However if you think this particular 'point of law' has no implication to the legal and jurisdictional status of ICANN and the important global governance functions that is does, I will rest my case here.

Speaking as a lawyer and a ccTLD manager a) I would be wary of drawing ‘points of law’ from a news story and b) even if the report is accurate, the decision does not have any implication to the legal and jurisdictional status of ICANN.

>>> I dont see on what basis can this point of law be struck down by an higher court... It is kind of obvious. Has always been obvious. The news story is just being cited to try to force the obvious on those who are so thoroughly intent on not seeing the obvious :)

Again as a lawyer, I have learnt that it is unwise to predict what courts may or may not do. However, FWIW, I think the decision is likely to be overturned for a number of reasons, mainly to do with the definition of assets.

Cheers,

Chris