[discuss] Some more legal tangles for ICANN

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jun 30 10:19:06 UTC 2014

Nigel Roberts <nigel at roberts.co.uk> wrote:

> Always assuming of course they know where to find it, of course.
> Here's a clue: wherever it is -- and I've not that sure, although I
> could guess
> - it's surely not in Marina del Rey, or wherever ICANN's California
> office is these days!

I don't think that this kind of argument would be seen as holding water
from the perspective of any judge.

Any judge can ask someone with a bit of knowledge of how the Internet
works about what it takes to transfer the “.ir TLD asset” to the
plaintiffs. This could plausibly result in a court order which would
give the plaintiffs in the action against Iran the power to direct
ICANN to change to root zone file in relation to .ir as they see fit,
similar to the owner to any .com 2LD has the power to get corresponding
updates made in the .com zone.

Greetings,
Norbert