[discuss] Roadmap for globalizing IANA

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Mar 3 16:39:02 UTC 2014

Seun,
Good questions, all.
Regarding 1, 2 and 4, we leave that up to the MoU process. The registries and RS operators will have to work that out. We could propose what we think is an ideal structure for DNSA, but in practical reality what matters is what the TLDs will accept, so no point in going into detail.
Regarding 3, Yes. However, the contractual terms under which DNSA must implement ICANN policies would be significant.

From: Seun Ojedeji [mailto:seun.ojedeji at gmail.com]

1. Under what law will the DNS Authority" (DNSA) be established. OR better put in which country will the not-for-profit be registered?
2. Considering the registry to 1vote model of operating the DNSA, how does that factor out for regions that seem currently underprivileged with registries?
3. From the new structure does it mean DNSA has no right to reject any change request forwarded to it (so long as it is from(or adheres to) the ICANN PDP) and also has no right to make any changes that does not originate OR meet the ICANN PDP requirement?
4. What is the internal structure of the DNSA going to look like i.e is DNSA going to ask registries to contribute expertise to manage the root maintenance OR they ask another entity to do that and provide oversight functions?
Thanks for sharing the document.
Kind Regards