[discuss] Roadmap for globalizing IANA

Elisabeth Blanconil info at vgnic.org
Tue Mar 4 02:42:46 UTC 2014

At 02:45 04/03/2014, nathalie coupet wrote:
>Could you, jefsey, Hebe, and others, please address the issue of
>leakage. How could you prevent it (do you want to prevent it)?

As David Conrad mentions it, the leakage is a pollution of DNS
buffers by a different vision of the name space. This would occur in
the top zone if there were two different identical TLDs, the zones of
which would be different, documented by two different root server
systems of thee same class.

Please note that:
* The ICANN root is authoritative: the NTIA decides which servers are
to be listed for the different TLDs.
* The ORSN root is non-authoritative: it reports the configuration
authoritatively indicated by the TLD Managers.

This is the difference between monarchy and polycracy (where the
common decisions emerge from the diversity of individual
authoritative decisions which are taken by subsidiarity - i.e. by the
zone managers, in an MS approach). In a non-attacked class, leaks can
only happen if an authoritative root administrator decides the
seizure of TLD. VGNICs reduce the risks from this happening.

I understand that others advocate a commercial oligarchy where the
root would be voted by the registrars (i.e. people paying ICANN).

The DNS IETF model supports 65,365 roots, one for each class. The
sole class that people discuss on this list is the "IN" ICANN/NTIA
class. We call this attitude "the BUG", i.e. being unipolarly global.

Hebe.