[discuss] Root servers yet again (Re: Roadmap for globalizing IANA)

McTim mctimconsulting at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 16:19:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Michel Gauthier <mg at telepresse.com> wrote:

>  At 15:44 04/03/2014, McTim wrote:
>
> Michel,
>
> I believe that most people on this list do not agree with your
> characterizations below, I for none, do not.
> the NTIA can't not approve new gTLDs, in other words, they must apply the
> rubber stamp..
>

> :-)
> Which treaty says that? They left the room in Dubai when this was raised

there is no treaty, nor does there need to be.

IIRC, this was not the reason for nation states not to sign on to the
agreement during WCIT.

>  - grand-parents make sure that parents raise their children correctly
> (they keep the root in turne with their demands)
> There is no mechanism for this to happen, it is prima facie false.
>

> Read Conrad.

I have. Perhaps you couold be more specific.  What is the mechanism by
which the USG keeps the root "in turne with their demands"?

I assume you are talking about USG as grandparents here.  What are their
demands you refer to?

>  - childs do what they want (if they do not bother to ask the parents)
> they declare their own additional nameservers.
> TLDs must change NS records via IANA, n'est-ce pas?
>

> :-)
> In which DNS world do you live?

The one that works globally, as opposed to the vaporware of "VGNICS".

IOW, the one that allows this email to find it's way to your inbox.

rgds,

McTim