[discuss] On Addresses and Identifiers / proceeding properly

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Fri Mar 7 15:59:27 UTC 2014

On 3/7/14 5:39 AM, "Jefsey" <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:

>At 07:06 07/03/2014, McTim wrote:
>>I did answer, and I used to work at one of the RIRs AND I was Chair
>>of the Policy WG of another RIR, so I think I have a bit of clue.
>>What wasn't answered?
>
>I think that what was not answered was a basic question of
>multirelational sovereignty: do we think that IETF RFCs, I*practices,
>RIRs tables, or /1net recommandations are binding international laws
>the disrespect of which will be globally and consensually accepted as
>a motive for economic crisis, cyberwar or more.
>
>In other terms, who is sovereign in the cyberspace? And what is
>sovereignty in there?

The operator of the network is sovereign over the operation of that
network.
If that operator defers sovereignty to another authority, that is their
choice.
Choices may have implications.

If a network operator chooses (or chooses to comply with an order) to use
addresses which other network operator will not route, the ramification of
that choice is a lack of interconnectivity.

Lee