[discuss] Will there be life on 1net after IANA is globalized? (:-)

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 20:51:06 UTC 2014

Dear Milton,

I am learning that I can count on you for a dismissive pedantic comment that overstates the obvious and contains little if any contribution to the discussion.    (:-)

More seriously, there is a range, or spectrum, of Internet governance concerns that are highly technical at one end and raise existential societal concerns at the other end.  Deciding the details of a specific Internet transmission protocol is generally free of societal concerns, while the use of the Internet for criminal activity is of major societal concern.  There is obviously bleed-through  —  certain issues will be affected by what happens in other layers.  Generally people who work on such issues understand that and take into account concerns that are broader than their work in a specific layer.  If you don’t like the layered model, think of it in terms of that continuous spectrum, although any unidimensional model of the Internet governance base is clearly a simplification to begin with.

More relevant is the second of Vint’s et al. charts.  That is, that depending upon the primary impact of the problem being worked on, certain organizations have responsibilities for addressing it.  Some times the organizations assume the responsibility directly, and other times they are created for the purpose or have the responsibility thrust upon them.  I noted that national governments were missing from Vint’s diagram, and I believe that a they need to be added because they have responsibility, individually and collectively, to address many of these problems that are toward the upper layers, or toward one end of the spectrum,  in a productive manner.

My concern with regarding a space like Internet governance as a set of simultaneous and interwoven problems is that it’s difficult to solve any one without trying to solve many of them at the same time.  While it is true that there are interrelationships, I don’t think that there is any magic bullet that will do that.  It may be useful to look at root causes for classes of problems, if we think that they exist, but I think that it is counterproductive to assume that we have to attack the issues in that way.

Next time, I’d appreciate it if you would contribute more positively to the discussion.

George