[discuss] Roadmap for globalizing IANA

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Mar 8 03:40:31 UTC 2014

On Friday 07 March 2014 09:30 PM, Mawaki Chango wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu
> <mailto:mueller at syr.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Right, Brenden, I agree that Mawaki has raised an important issue.
>     We suggested, perhaps a bit too casually, that the contract
>     between DNSA and ICANN might be renegotiated after a period.
>     I think that was not fully thought out,
>

> Right!...Not too early, but I guess not too late either.
> It indeed didn't strike me as well thought out to even suggest that
> DNSA would be in position to make the decision as to who gets the
> contract, right after saying it only has a clerical (IANA functions)
> and a technical (Root zone maintainer) role

Yes, this is the principal problem with Milton and Brenden's proposal.

Everyone's eye is on the one big knotty problem on the CIR side of
global IG - the oversight of ICANN..... It is not clear whether Milton
and Brenden's proposal at all attempts to solve this problem. If it
does, it tries to do so in a strangely circular, and, IMO, rather
untenable way.

They wish to create a new entity with an extremely unclear status, role
and authority. They like to call its function as merely clerical and of
only technical implementation. It is strange to describe the role and
function in such a manner of an agency which seems to have complete
legal and physical custody of the root of the global Internet - and that
too with no oversight above it at all, which seems to make this control
rather absolute, whether Milton and Brenden actually say this or not.

   Milton and Brenden say that this new entity cannot abuse this all
crucial position because it will be bond by a contract with ICANN to do
only implementation as per policy developed by ICANN. However, at the
same time is seems that this new entity is the Principal in the implied
contract, which it can award to other possible contractors than ICANN...
Unclear here who writes the contract and ensures its inviolability (as
Mawaki argues). Is it to be under some clear international law and
system beyond both these entities - the new one and the ICANN? That is
the crucial missing point. What stops this new entity from giving the
contract to a party that agrees (gradually and progressively, or at one
go) to its own thinking/ interests rather than not? Does  every
contractor not keep a keen eye  on the next renewal periodin terms of
how it acts, as for instance ICANN does at present vis a vis DoC of US
government.

Evidently, despite the proponents best effort at sugar-coating the fact,
the new entity would exercise a de facto oversight role over ICANN, by
being the Principal of the contract between them, and having the actual
authority and legal possession vis a vis root changes.

Can a trade association be trusted to exercise such a role? I take the
easy route to quote what Adam Smith said - Adam Smith, the so called
founder of free market doctrines.

  "People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and
diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public,
or in some contrivance to raise prices.... But though the law cannot
hinder people of the same trade from sometimes assembling together, it
ought to do nothing to facilitate such assemblies, much less to render
them necessary. "

Adam gives us a clear advice - do not encourage an assembly of tld
operators for any purpose at all, much less give them the control of
global Internet's root.

However, even before Milton and Brenden's proposal can be judged to be
good or bad I think it will be judged as impractical by neutral legal
pandits and jurists.

About Brenden's point below on termination of contracts, conditions in
this regard always favour the entity who holds the default power - if
there were no contract (as for instance between a property owner and one
who rents it)... In this case, it is the proposed new entity that holds
all the important cards. In any case, there is the issue of renewal of
the contract - a situation which lies outside the contract and cannot
ordinarily be guided by the contract. Here the defualt power and
position - which lies with the proposed new entity - becomes all
important, and gives it the kind of power most of us cannot even think
of giving to such an entity.

Also, Vinay's poser is very interesting and very real, and I did not
hear a response to it - how will the new proposed entity react to a
situation where, at the time of renewal of the contract, an entity other
than ICANN comes up with a claim of better, including more globally
representative, policy development position?

parminder