[discuss] [Council] Just Net Coalition contribution on Principles for Netmundial.br

S Moonesamy sm+1net at elandsys.com
Sat Mar 8 06:48:08 UTC 2014

Hi Alex,
At 07:53 07-03-2014, Alex Gakuru wrote:
>How/will the participation at NetMundial be legitimately representative?
>
>Nearly 42% of attendees will be private sector and technical (the
>I's), going by the data at: http://netmundial.br/blog/
>2014/02/25/mapping-netmundial-expected-attendance-towards-a-well-balance-multistakeholder-meeting/
>
>The above 42 per cent excludes certain powerful governments'
>representatives and their friendly partners (and assuming all 'civil
>society' organisations are, well, civil society!)

   "It is worth highlighting that the African Civil Society sent in
more Expressions
    of Interest while in the Americas it was the Private Sector that
sent in more
    Expressions of Interest."

The percentages for Africa are:

   Academia          8%
   Civil Society    56%
   Private Sector   12%
   Government        8%
   Tech. Community  14%

I do not know how participation can be legitimately represented.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy