[discuss] Roadmap for globalizing IANA

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Wed Mar 12 19:19:39 UTC 2014

On Mar 12, 2014, at 3:12 PM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Steve,
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Steve Crocker <steve at shinkuro.com> wrote:
>
> On Mar 12, 2014, at 11:22 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 1. http://www.ntia.doc.gov/page/iana-functions-purchase-order--
>
> The reference above appears to have been truncated in transmission.
>
> Your ref [A] was the actual url i was also referencing.
>
>  I’m not sure precisely which page(s) you looked at so I’ll refer to the web page covering the NTIA actions on the IANA contract [A] and the award [B].  The operative language is in sections C.2.9.2.c and C.2.9.2.d, covering ccTLDs and gTLDs, respectively.  These paragraphs are on pages 7-8 of [B].
>
> These paragraphs burden IANA with verifying that the decisions to create or re-delegate a TLD conform to the relevant policies and processes, but they do not place the burden or responsibility in IANA for making those decisions.
>
> This now very clear Steve. Also the fact that ICANN have to provide those documentation consistently to IANA could also be a burden to ICANN. So this seem more like a process issue (which is simply looking to remove that verification burden from IANA in other to improve ICANN efficiency as i expect the documentation itself to be resource consuming).
> On a lighter note, a wild thought of "what if" is if the IANA for some organisational reason(or political influence) determined that the documentation provided by ICANN to justify certain additions/removal of gTLD/ccTLD is not adequate enough and then they decide to invalidate the process.(perhaps a related scenario will be .xxx)

If the IANA folks think a request is not well formed, they should kick it back.  This will likely result in a delay, usually short, and not a complete refusal.

In practice, the effect of this language was simply to bolster what had already been in place, viz that each request be documented thoroughly and clearly.  This is running pretty smoothly these days.

> I know this may seem like a fine distinction, but it’s precisely the line between the “big” decisions as to who operates a TLD and the role of the IANA, which is to ensure the updates to the root zone are accurate and complete.
>
> You are the best Steve! with this simple and precise explanation, you made my day. Perhaps if responses like this come in early enough in start of any related thread, we would have saved ourselves some bandwidth ;)

Thanks!

Steve