[discuss] Will there be life on 1net after IANA is globalized? (:-)

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 16:24:02 UTC 2014

Milton describes the situation well within the GNSO, and he has consistently supported diversity in the GNSO’s deliberations through the representation in the non-commercial stakeholders group.

Expanding on one of his points, there is an At Large Advisory Group, the ALAC, whose job it is to represent what Apple calls “the rest of us.”  This organization is maturing, has quite capable leadership, and is becoming an important voice in the context of ICANN activities.  It’s an important organization that I hope will become even more important as ICANN evolves.  The structure of the ALAC is specifically regional, which provides greater possibilities for representatives in developing regions and countries to participate and to be heard.

How to represent “the rest of us” who number in the billions has been the subject of some dispute in the history of ICANN.  While IMO this issue has not yet been finally resolved, the ALAC effort is sufficiently developed that it deserves attention, respect and support from all of “the rest of us.”
Regards,

George