[discuss] [governance] NTIA statement

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Mar 16 23:53:37 UTC 2014

On 16-Mar-14 19:22, Shatan, Gregory S. wrote:
> The Snowden leaks provided a convenient soapbox for the EU and others
> to climb on and demand this transition.

While I believe many are milking the Snowden revelations for more than
they should, I also believe that saying it has no bearing is wrong.

The US has shown that it is willing to create laws that make pervasive
monitoring over US citizens and non citizens legal.  The US legalizes
monitoring that other countries do not consider legal in respect to
privacy laws or as being within the constraints of Human Rights.  That
means that under US Corporate and Patriot Act etc legislation the US
could treat any data stored by IANA under any rules it likes.  Without
ever telling anyone. That is not insignificant.

avri