[discuss] Host country

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 06:11:01 UTC 2014

Hello David,

sent from Google nexus 4
kindly excuse brevity and typos.
On 19 Mar 2014 01:27, "David Conrad" <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mar 18, 2014, at 2:00 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+1net at elandsys.com> wrote:
> > At 11:13 18-03-2014, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> >> My  understanding is that this political sanctions does not affect
internet operation in those regions especially as it relates to names and
IP resources.

> I believe your understanding is mistaken. While governments may make
exceptions (for whatever reason), I believe sanctions are intended to alter
behavior of the entity being sanctioned and presumably, impacting Internet
operation would encourage behavior being altered.

Yes I understand the meaning of sanction, however the extent/effect of it's
use is what I like to ascertain. Practically speaking has external
political sanctions from one country to another really significantly
affected internet operation in that country? unless ofcourse if most of the
country traffic go through the other country's (I am not talking about
government putting sanction on her own country). An instance is Côte devoir
which is on the US sanctioned list[1] (although as at 2010 don't whether
it's lifted now) does relatively well in her internet related activities.

> >> Are you saying this is not practically the case? i.e does ICANN threat
requests from those region differently from others due to  governmental
political sanctions?

> No. As far as I know (that is, at least while I was at ICANN and I
believe today), all requests for service are treated by ICANN identically.
However, part of request processing is to determine if a license is
required to provide services and, if so, obtaining that license. This is
obviously not something ICANN can control since it must obey the law,
regardless of the country in which it operates.

Thanks for clarifying this part, especially as it relates to ICANN.

Regards
1.
http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0410/countries-sanctioned-by-the-u.s.---and-why.aspx