[discuss] A thought experiment - what follows the 'IANA transition?'

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Thu Mar 20 03:12:49 UTC 2014

On March 19, 2014 at 07:51 pindar.wong at gmail.com (Pindar Wong) wrote:
 > Hi Barry
 >
 > It's been a long while...and thanks for this hub-spoke thought piece.  Two
 > quick questions:-

Great to hear from you Pindar!

 > 1) Would this model prohibit  the 'relatively autonomous' spokes forming
 > inter-spoke relationships if necessary  i.e. moving from pure Hub-Spoke ->
 > Mesh (or would be it Hub-Spoke forevermore)?

The effectiveness of doing that would have to be governed by a charter
and by-laws. I don't see why it would be prohibited though there might
be a need for boundaries.

This also brings to mind the parliamentary idea of coalition parties
-- "coalition stakeholders"?

I suppose my immediate reaction is: Why not? One could extrapolate to
power asymmetries which might be counter-productive I suppose but at
some point that's the chance one takes in any voting regimen.

I don't see how one doesn't just view this as a natural part of the
process. Groups with common interests will coalesce on some issues,
this is how plurality and majority can be achieved.

 > 2) Although you put it as TBD, when do you view your 'adjudication arm for
 > settling any disputes' being established i.e. would there need to be
 > procedural certainty beforehand or would there be a mechanism to evolve it
 > as the form and nature of disputes emerge or are better understood?

I would hope it would be established right away since it's in the
beginning when there is little experience with the new structure that
fundamental disputes of interpretation are likely to arise.

 > Tks.

And thank you.