[discuss] surveillance governance, was Re: [governance] NTIA statement

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Sat Mar 22 08:58:31 UTC 2014

I would very much agree with Greg that Parminder's scenario of a single entity (or even a single stakeholder group, or organised cabal across a wide range of stakeholders) taking control of the ICANN board is extremely farfetched, a matter for conspiracy theory novels not a genuine worry. It is a scenario that does not plausibly survive even a casual examination of how board members are selected.

There is only one likely scenario of all ICANN board members having their decision influenced by the same entity - and that entity is ICANN itself. While an oversight mechanism should function in such a way as to guard against a board that was all somehow controlled by a commercial entity willing to patiently infiltrate and suborn a range of ICANN processes, it should be focussed on the more likely issue that ICANN board will take decisions that are in the interests of ICANN itself, rather than the community it serves.

David