[discuss] Comcast undertakes 9 year IETF cosponsorship!?

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Mar 23 07:55:23 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 23-Mar-14 15:22, Alejandro Pisanty wrote:

> I continue to find it incredibly paradoxal to have civil society leading
> the effort to braid the rope with which governments would gladly hang us.

It is only some part of civil society.  And we have to accept that it
takes all kinds to build civil society.  Civil society doesn't have
membership criteria, being born and being involved is all it takes.  And
that is how it should be.

Personally, I try to avoid encouraging them, but being affiliated, at
least in part, with civil society means accepting a variant of the
Postel Rule of being liberal in what you allow to just wash past you.

What is wonderful is how few governments opportunistically accept their
viewpoint, though it might seem to serve governments to adopt this part
of civil society and make them the heroes.  It is good to see so many
governments accept that it is in the public good to work with all
stakeholders.

avri