[discuss] American For-Profit at the Heart of Internet

McTim mctimconsulting at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 12:28:38 UTC 2014

Hi Pranesh,

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:

> On 24 March 2014 7:35:19 pm GMT+08:00, McTim <mctimconsulting at gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>> sent from Google nexus 4
>>> kindly excuse brevity and typos.

>>up

>>Assigned
>>coordination

>>mean

>>> Hmm...I am unclear why either of this options will happen.
>>

>>Agreed, it could mean:
>>
>>3.  The VRSN role remains the same.
>
> How's 3 not just 1? NTIA, the counterparty in that agreement, will after all have to change as per NTIA's own announcement.

After re-reading the Pres Release, I think you may be correct.
However, in the initial ICANN teleconference on the day after the
announcement, Fadi was pretty clear that this won't affect the VRSN
role at all.

Maybe that was meant as a signal to the markets?  Now that i think
about it the timing (late on a Friday) could have been designed to
give some time for analysis before market reaction.

In any case, it is unclear to me that the RZM will change, as the
focus is on the IANA/ICANN now.

rgds,

McTim