[discuss] Opportunity for input on the development process for IANA oversight transition plan

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Mar 25 07:37:07 UTC 2014

On 25 Mar 2014, at 3:03 pm, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Our community  —  the community of people interest in and affected by Internet governance decisions  — is numerous and distributed around the globe.  It’s unrealistic to think that input can be gathered inclusively through physical meetings.
>

> Yes I agree and budget wise it's also  unrealistic and I believe others know this. However, for me I think the ground for which the few physical meeting happen is more important. ICANN was mandated to coordinate this process, however it should not solely do this within it's structure. So while ICANN discuss this issues within it's community events (since ICANN community can be seen as a stakeholder) it should organise physical meeting(1 or 2) on a neutral ground where all stakeholders (including outside ICANN) come in to discuss their views and that is where an outcome should be determined.

Or, it seems obvious, take advantage of other existing meetings where other such stakeholders are likely to be found, including the IGF, the WSIS+10 high level meeting, the World Social Forum, the Chaos Communication Congress...

Otherwise I agree with Seun and Ian.

--
Jeremy Malcolm PhD LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet lawyer, ICT policy advocate, geek

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/pgp.